Saturday, January 26, 2013

You Want Happy? Here's 45 Things...

I keep many lists in my Filofax, but one list in particular holds a special place, front and center.  It's a list of 45 Things To Make You Happy Right Now.

I discovered it on the Lifehack blog.  Have you guys been there?  You really should.  It has crazy good information about, well, how to hack your life.  I visit there almost every day.

Anyway, I was drawn to this particular list, so I printed it out and slid it into the promenent top-loading clear pocket at the front of my Filofax, so I am reminded about it every day.

A few of the things on the list I have done, like taking a power nap (ok, I've probably done that one a dozen times or more -- I heart naps), buying someone lunch, and drawing a picture.  I hope to get through them all before the end of the year, but I'm not making that a goal and I won't beat myself up if that doesn't happen.  That would take the "happy" out of it for me!

So here's the list.  You can also find it here in its glory at the Lifehack blog.  Really, you should go there right after you read this list.  You won't be disappointed.

  1. Take a power nap (20 minutes).
  2. Leave a generous tip at a restaurant.
  3. Become a vegetarian/vegan.
  4. Get rid of 3 things you never use.
  5. Write down 3 things you’re grateful for.
  6. Don’t use Facebook for the rest of the day.
  7. Stop watching/reading the news for a week.
  8. Buy a new album on iTunes.
  9. Write a journal entry.
  10. Meditate.
  11. Go to the local coffee shop and talk to the barista.
  12. Sign up for a fitness class.
  13. Set a fitness goal.
  14. Watch a romantic comedy.
  15. Grab a book at the library.
  16. Join a book club.
  17. Take a deep breath.
  18. Clean your bathroom. Just do it. There are surprising benefits to a clean space.
  19. Sit on a park bench.
  20. Talk to the stranger next to you.
  21. Send someone a card “just because”.
  22. Go for a walk.
  23. Buy a plane ticket…to anywhere.
  24. Call a friend.
  25. Email a friend.
  26. Set a goal and get super-motivated.
  27. Stop being busy. Start being productive. Ask yourself: “Is my work producing direct results?”
  28. Cancel everything on your schedule that you’re not excited to do.
  29. Hell, just cancel everything on your schedule.
  30. Hide your credit card.
  31. Start your life list.
  32. Clean-up your desktop. Use Alfred to find things on your computer. It’ll change your life!
  33. Watch a TED talk.
  34. Go for a bike ride.
  35. Turn off the computer for the rest of the day.
  36. Smile.
  37. Buy someone lunch.
  38. Make a list of every kick ass thing you’ve already done in your life.
  39. Draw a picture
  40. Make a decision to stop doing what’s making you unhappy.
  41. Make a list of things you want to do before your next birthday.
  42. Drink some water.
  43. Take a picture of something beautiful.
  44. Read Zen Habits.
  45. Stop reading this. Get off your butt and do something. NOW.
Is there something that makes you happy that is not on this list?  Please share it in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment