Monday, July 26, 2010

Fighting the Urge to Just Sit

My husband started a new schedule at work today:  4:00 AM until 3:00 PM.  That means the alarm goes off at 2:45.  In the morning.  That's a big switch from his usual 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.  It will be a challenge for the whole household.  But these days we have to be grateful for the jobs we have.  Not too long ago we were both unemployed.

In no way do I mean to sound selfish, but this new schedule affects me too.  When the alarm goes off at 2:45, I wake up.  And I stay awake until I know that he has gotten to work safely.  And then I stay awake for a little while longer.  This morning I finally fell back to sleep around 4:30.  Until my alarm went off at 5:45 so that I could get up and get ready for work.  So right now I am really tired.  And that's after a 20 minute nap on the couch after a quick supper.

I had big plans for working on my blog tonight.  All throughout my workday I was thinking of what I would do when I finally got a quiet minute with my laptop.  But right now I don't feel like doing any of it.  I'm surprised I'm even typing this post.

I should admit, though, that this problem of being too tired after work didn't start with my husband's new work schedule.  I've had this problem way before now.  I've fallen behind on so many of my goals because I'm too tired after I've gotten off work and picked up the kid and come home and fixed dinner and cleaned up after dinner (or not) and washed laundry that is needed for the next day.  You know the drill.  I'll bet more of you than not experience the same exact thing.

So how do I get around it?  How do I push myself past the tired feet and aching back and drooping eyelids to write a few words for my novel or finish up an article or write a blog post?  Or do anything?

I've tried vitamins and exercise and going to bed earlier.  I'm looking for a quick, magical fix here.  Anybody got one??

No comments:

Post a Comment